Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lesotho Pt. II, Hlotse Locals




We shot in the city of Hlotse for most of the trip. Professional cameras and white people in general are pretty rare in that part of Lesotho so it was very common for locals to approach me and ask for their picture to be taken if I had my camera out. I would explain as best I could (most locals understand English quite well as their second language) that I cannot print or send anything to them but they were completely stoked just to see themselves on the preview screen. They each had a very specific way that they wanted to pose and be captured. As impromptu as it might be, I find that very telling as to how they want to be seen and the message they want to send abroad.



Here are two of the twelve high school students from Guelph, Ontario who we were shooting with in Lesotho. All of the Canadian students were paired with local high school students who would show them how they live and what is important to them. They all became good friends over the three weeks we were there.

I wish I had more time to spend on still photography while in Hlotse but I mean, the 100+ hours of documentary footage makes up for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment